To make high performance sailing and recreational sailing lifelong activities for boaters in
through excellence in competition and training.
To provide leadership, governance and standards to meet the needs of all our members by:
· Promoting high performance sailing success at regional, national, and international levels.
· Being the authority and voice of
athletes in competitive sailing and recreational boating.
· Providing guidance, leadership, support and services to our membership.
· Supporting national standards and policies for excellence in training, competition, and safety for sailing and recreational boating in
· Expanding participation in sailing and recreational boating in
By 2014, have a significantly higher portion of the
population enjoy and support competitive sailing and recreational boating activities by;
· Developing participation activities in collaboration with our stakeholders and other organizations.
· Maintaining and strengthening Ontario Sailings delivery of education programs.
· Communicating the values of healthy active living through accessible boating to all people in
· Supporting our member clubs in their pursuit of enhanced participation and growth.
· Tracking participation and the demographics
To support athletic achievement leading towards world class results in competitive sailing by and by 2014 have a larger pool of high level athletes in
· Strengthening team and administrative support to athlete development.
· Promoting top quality coaching, equipment and resources at both the provincial and club level.
· Supporting and implementing the CYA long term athlete development program.
· Identify high performance athletes as they develop from the local level up to the national and international level of competition.
To have a capable and efficient organization developing and supporting quality competitive sailing and recreational boating related activities by:
· Developing, implementing, and supporting programs to ensure that coaches, officials, instructors, and administrators are capable of delivering a quality sport experience to all participants.
· Assisting all areas of the province to develop competitive sailing and recreational boating programs.
· Working with members and partners to develop a provincial infrastructure of facilities and programs that make the best use of all resources.
To have stronger and more active collaboration and communication among partners by 2014 by:
· Developing a clear understanding and ownership of roles and responsibilities for each part of the organization.
· Actively collaborating and communicating with stakeholders and partners to increase excellence, participation and capacity.
· Actively seeking new partnerships to promote our sport.
Note: In determining
Sailing Goals we sought consistency with the Canadian Sport Policys (CSP) goals.
Ontario Sailing is based on the following principles to guide the development of high performance and recreational sailing in
Sailing values fairness and sportsmanship, which goes beyond just following the rules and incorporates respect for others and is a way of thinking, not just behaving.
Respect and Equality: We value demonstrating respect for individuals in all manifestations of their cultural and linguistic diversity and life circumstances. All people should be treated in an equitable and fair manner regardless of age, ability, sex, religion, social and ethnic background or political persuasion. Verbal, physical, emotional or sexual abuse of any kind is unacceptable.
Excellence and Integrity:
Sailing values professionalism, fiscal responsibility, honesty, accountability and dedication.
Community Pride: Sailing contributes to developing healthy and responsible individuals, with a sense of pride for their community.
Ontario Sailing Team Strategic Plan
To improve the caliber of Ontarios high performance athletes sailing Olympic Class boats through on- and off-water support leading towards international success and Olympic medal performances.
To develop, execute and support programs and events that will meet the needs of Ontario athletes through:
- Identifying talent in current and next generation athletes and coaches
- Support athlete and coach development on- and off-water
- Provide coaching at specific training camps and regattas for Olympic Class and development class boats across North American
- Develop Canadian Sailing Team caliber athletes
- Identify at least one new male and female singlehanded athlete each year that has future potential to compete on the Ontario Sailing Team
- Identify at least one new male and female double-handed team each year that has future potential to compete on the Ontario Sailing Team or
Ontario Sailing Development Team
- Identify at least one new male and female racing coach each year to enter the Ontario Coach Mentorship Program
- Consistently place top province at the Canadian Youth Sailing Championships
- Consistently place top province at the Canadian Sailing Championships
- Consistently place top province at the Canada Summer Games
Canadian Sailing Team
- To have greater than 50% of the Canadian Sailing Team be Ontario athletes by 2014
Pan American Games
- To have greater than 80% of the 2015 Pan American Sailing Team be Ontario athletes.
- To have greater than 50% of the Canadian Olympic Sailing Team be Ontario athletes by 2016
The Ontario Sailing Team program is founded in personal and team excellence to achieve individual and team goals.
Fairness: Athletes and coaches involved in the program are to uphold and honour the Racing Rules of Sailing and act as exemplary models of sportsmanship and fair play, while showing respect for other competitors, coaches and officials.